TechEd Developer Sessions: Upsizing/migrating to SQLS & Using Access as a FE to SQL Server
Mary Chipman [MSFT]
2008-05-30 16:53:24 UTC
Hi all,

The following sessions may be of interest to those of you (or your
customers/colleagues) who are attending TechEd:

TechEd Online Panel _05: Are we there yet? Successfully navigating
the bumpy road from Access to SQL Server
6/3/2008 1:00PM-2:00PM
Location: TechEd Online stage

Come get your SQL server migration questions answered by real-world
experts Armen Stein (J Street Technology), Luke Chung (FMS), Stephen
Forte (Telerik), and Paul Sheriff (PDSA). Learn from their experiences
over many years in helping their customers migrate from Access/Jet to
SQL Server. There is no "one size fits all" solution to the
often-thorny issues involved; these experts can help you find a
migration path that best meets your business needs.

DAT303: Microsoft SQL Server Data Solutions Using Microsoft Office
Access
Mary Chipman and Armen Stein
6/6/2008 4:30PM-5:45PM
Room: S210 B

This session covers specific tools and techniques that enable you to
create cost-effective data solutions using an Access front-end against
a SQL Server database. You'll learn about appropriate scenarios where
Access can perform well against SQL Server while optimizing
performance and conserving server and network resources. You'll also
learn how Access can work with SQL Server features, such as stored
procedures, in a secured environment.
Patrick Jackman
2008-05-30 20:28:22 UTC
I sure wish I could attend these sessions Mary but I must be at another
event here at home in Vancouver, BC. The timing was perfect as I've just
started my first upsizing project. Fortunately I have some help and your
book is full of good advice. Is there any way to get a copy of notes for
these sessions?

Patrick
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Patrick Jackman
Vancouver, BC
604-874-5774

Mary Chipman [MSFT]
2008-05-31 22:19:18 UTC
Yes, we'll post the slides and session materials after the conference
so that they are publicly available. I don't have the exact location
yet.

--Mary

Patrick Jackman

Mary Chipman [MSFT]
2008-06-01 18:31:13 UTC
Normally I think it's tacky to plug one's book online, but people have
found it useful over the years. Even though there are more recent
versions of both Access and SQL Server, the basics haven't changed
much.

Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0672319446

In addition, FMS has an upsizing center you can check out:
http://www.fmsinc.com/Consulting/sqlserverupsizing.aspx

--Mary

Patrick Jackman
2008-06-01 23:31:22 UTC
Thanks Mary. I can easily say that your book is a great resource for anyone
faced with an upsizing.

I wrote to Andy not long ago asking if there were any plans to update the
book. I also said that I wished you had delved more deeply into "unbound"
Order / Order Detail approaches where there is text data in the secondary
tables. In particular how to code in the app and stored procedures for the
possibility of commas and single quotes in text fields. Will any of your
upcoming talks shed light on this issue?

Patrick.

Patrick Jackman

Mary Chipman [MSFT]

Mary Chipman [MSFT]
2008-06-17 18:18:48 UTC
The session has been posted TechEd attendees - DAT 303, and the
samples/slides are available at
http://jstreettech.com/cartgenie/pg_developerDownloads.asp.

The online upsizing/migrating panel is publicly available --
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/events/teched/cc676818.aspx.

Let me know if you have any problems accessing this material.

--Mary