Connect Access FE to SQL Server backend over a VPN
Dale Fye
2008-02-24 12:49:14 UTC
I've recently upsized an Access backend database to SQL Server. I've got
the tables linked to Access over a DSN-less connection.

Now my boss would like to be able to connect this application from his
laptop, over a VPN connection. Is there anything special I need to know to
do this? I found one article that mentioned having to use SQL Server
authentication. Besides this, is there anything special about the
connection string to get this to work, or would it look the same as if the
laptop was hard wired into the network at the office?

Thanks for your help.
Alex Dybenko
2008-02-24 13:19:49 UTC
there is nothing special to connect to sql server over VPN, but you have to
be aware that connection can be lost and then you need to restart database.
Better idea to open remote desktop session to some server and run
application there
--
Best regards,
___________
Thanks for your help.
Dale Fye
2008-02-24 18:48:12 UTC
Thanks, Alex.

I'm trying to get them to invest in a couple of Terminal Server licenses,
but they don't want to spend any more money at the moment.

I'm familiar with the lost connection situation. Part of the reason we
moved the BE to SQL Server was that they "upgraded" our network by removing
about 100 hard wired connections and put those workstations on a wireless
LAN. Boy was that a nightmare. It may be an "upgrade" to the IT types
because they no longer have to deal with running wire, but for the users, it
has been nothing short of a nightmare (dropped connections, lost files,
...).

I'll just have to test the connections more frequently and provide more
robust error handling for lost connections.

Dale
Hi,
Thanks for your help.
Tony Toews [MVP]
2008-02-24 21:48:55 UTC
Post by Dale Fye
I'm familiar with the lost connection situation. Part of the reason we
moved the BE to SQL Server was that they "upgraded" our network by removing
about 100 hard wired connections and put those workstations on a wireless
LAN. Boy was that a nightmare. It may be an "upgrade" to the IT types
because they no longer have to deal with running wire, but for the users, it
has been nothing short of a nightmare (dropped connections, lost files,
...).
Very interesting. I was wondering how that kind of thing would work.
Post by Dale Fye
I'll just have to test the connections more frequently and provide more
robust error handling for lost connections.
However my understanding is that Access doesn't cope all that well at
times with SQL Server dropped connections. Could you keep us posted
with your problems so we can learn from your experiences.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
Dale Fye
jsmaccready
2008-05-27 23:33:06 UTC
This thread has been dormant for a while so this may no longer be useful. AND,
this may not work with your WiFi LAN.
We use VPN connections into our WAN/LAN, direct to desktop PCs with Remote
Desktop connections (WindowsXP OS reqd). If 'the boss' has one at his desk,
and has permssions to connect to it remotely, he could run the Access app
from there instead of linking from the offsite PC (outside of VPN host).
In this config, the outside machine is the terminal client and the desktop
PC is the Term Server.
This work quite well and avoids the need for a TS license.
sakamotoyukihiro