sql database not showing
Adam Milligan
2008-12-10 00:31:01 UTC
Hello-

I am using Access 2007 and would like to connect to a sql server 2008
database using odbc (I started this project with an access adp, but figured
it wise to experiment with odbc as well) I use the wizard to create a dsn
and all connections seem to work fine, however, the database I want to use is
not in the "change the default database to:" list. I have tried this with
both the "SQL Server" and "SQL Native Client" drivers with the same result.
I know that is not a whole lot of information, but has anyone encountered
this problem before? Thanks.

Adam
Lawrence Garvin
2008-12-10 04:27:17 UTC
Post by Adam Milligan
Hello-
I am using Access 2007 and would like to connect to a sql server 2008
database using odbc (I started this project with an access adp, but figured
it wise to experiment with odbc as well) I use the wizard to create a dsn
and all connections seem to work fine, however, the database I want to use is
not in the "change the default database to:" list. I have tried this with
both the "SQL Server" and "SQL Native Client" drivers with the same result.
I know that is not a whole lot of information, but has anyone encountered
this problem before? Thanks.
If the account being used to establish the connection does not have
permissions to access the desired database, the database will not be visible
for connection.

Make sure the desired database has a *user* (with appropriate permissions),
that's linked to a *login* defined in SQL Server, and that login is being
used in the declaration of your DSN.
Adam Milligan
2008-12-10 05:16:01 UTC
Lawrence-

Thanks for the input. It turns out the permissions were fine. What I ended
up doing was opening the DSN in a text editor and changing the database name
to what I wanted. That did the trick. I find it odd that the database name
didn't show up in the list in the wizard, but ah well.

Thanks again,

Adam