Upsizing a large table from Access to SQL Server 2005 Express
Mike T
2008-02-28 17:07:04 UTC
I'm trying to upsize an Access 2003 table into SQL Server 2005 Express and it
seems to be timing out before the upload is complete.

I've followed the instructions @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295231 but
that doesn't stop Access timing out.

Usually times out around 15 mins.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on how to get a large table into SQL
Server?

I've looked at SSMA for Access, but it has it's own problems!

Cheers

-- Mike
Jeff Boyce
2008-02-28 19:20:09 UTC
Mike

Do you already have the table defined in SQL Server?

If so, you could link to that table and use a query to append records from
your local table to the SQL-Server table.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP
-- Mike
Mike T
2008-02-29 03:24:01 UTC
Hi Jeff,

Yes, the table was created in SQL Server and linking to it via Access and
appending records to it got the data into SQL Server.

It solved the problem of getting data into SQL, but I'm still bugged as to
why Access is still timing out using the upsize Wizard.

Thanks for your help.

-- Mike
-- Mike
Jeff Boyce
2008-03-01 00:09:40 UTC
Yah! I have a few of those "why did it do that?" that I've never gotten
answered, too.

Mostly, though, I just pick the hammer back up and keep driving nails...<g>

Regards

Jeff
-- Mike
Alex Dybenko
2008-02-28 19:22:33 UTC
normally I make a copy of mdb, empty it (or leave only small tables), then I
upsize, and then in copy big tables to already upsized database, using
queries or transferdatabase method
--
Best regards,