"Recordset is not updateable" error after upsizing
Robman
2008-09-17 18:49:02 UTC
This may not be the right forum but hopefully someone can answer or direct me
to the answer.
After upsizing an Access Front End application to SQLServer I keep having
the same problem with Forms that have subforms. The problem is that on
several of these subforms when I try to enter a new record (or change an
existing record) Access reports on the status bar that "Recordset is not
updateable".
I have run SQL Trace against the database and the attempt to change the
record does not even get to the server, it is being blocked at Access yet I
can find no reason - these forms worked perfectly well on the Access tables.
I cannot find a way to determine the "why" the recordset is not updateable so
if you can help I sure would appreciate it!
Thanks
Robman
Douglas J. Steele
2008-09-17 21:17:45 UTC
Is there a unique index on each table? ODBC connections are always read-only
unless there is.
--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
Robman
Robman
2008-09-18 03:15:01 UTC
Douglas:
Thanks very much for your reply.
In between posting this and your reply I discovered the Primary Key/Unique
Index information and that solved the first problem. Now of course I have
discovered a second problem that never existed before the conversion which is
just as problematic "Can't go to specified record" which research tells me is
due to a required field being missing.
The big question is of course "What required field"?
In examining the database tables in question I am sure that all required
fields are being updated but obviously Access does not agree! Once again the
SQL Trace provides no clue as to why this is generated.
So if you have any ideas I am certainly listening and continuing to
research. It's a shame the MS didn't build a log in that clarifies the
problem by telling you which required field is in violation!
Robman