How do I mimic an access/SQL office system on a standalone Laptop?
Jim Murray
2009-02-07 16:14:02 UTC
I'm trying to mimic the office system on my laptop for developmental
purposes. I want to make changes and test them on the laptop before I install
the new front end Access project on the existing Access/SQL system without
having to do further adaptations. Is this possible?
Stefan Hoffmann
2009-02-07 16:23:46 UTC
hi Jim,
Post by Jim Murray
I'm trying to mimic the office system on my laptop for developmental
purposes. I want to make changes and test them on the laptop before I install
the new front end Access project on the existing Access/SQL system without
having to do further adaptations. Is this possible?
Where is the problem? You can install either SQL Server Express or SQL
Server Developer Edition onto your normal system.

"without [..] further adaptions"? No, because Access projects (*.apd)
require the connection string. The connection string on your laptop will
certainly be a different one than in your productional environment.

Other changes are normally not necessary, when you know all the
constaints of the live system.

mfG
--> stefan <--
Sylvain Lafontaine
2009-02-07 22:08:37 UTC
Answer in line.
Post by Stefan Hoffmann
hi Jim,
Post by Jim Murray
I'm trying to mimic the office system on my laptop for developmental
purposes. I want to make changes and test them on the laptop before I
install the new front end Access project on the existing Access/SQL
system without having to do further adaptations. Is this possible?
Where is the problem? You can install either SQL Server Express or SQL
Server Developer Edition onto your normal system.
"without [..] further adaptions"? No, because Access projects (*.apd)
require the connection string. The connection string on your laptop will
certainly be a different one than in your productional environment.
An alias can be used to circumvent this problem; see the SQL-Server
Configuration Manager. Also, I don't think that this is the primary concern
of the OP.
--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform