Having trouble with upsizing wizard in Access 2007
Ellen Munnich
2007-11-20 00:15:00 UTC
I have a product databse that I would like to upsize to an MSSql DB. It is a
standard Access 2003 mdb file. I have installed MS SQL Server Express 2005
and the SMS.

I have tried both a new and existing DB.

When the wizard asks me what SQL Server I would like to use, it only gives
me one choice on the dropdown - (local). I have also tried variations on the
name that shows MSSQL and the SMS. I have tried entering my user login AND
Use Trusted Connections.

The message I get is "ODBC--connection to 'SQL Server(local)' failed". I
can't find anything on this in the knowledge base, so I'm at a loss.

thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can render.
Tony Toews [MVP]
2007-11-20 03:23:39 UTC
Post by Ellen Munnich
I have a product databse that I would like to upsize to an MSSql DB. It is a
standard Access 2003 mdb file. I have installed MS SQL Server Express 2005
and the SMS.
Access 2003 knows nothing about SQL Server 2005, only SQL Server 2000
and earlier.

There is a new tool from the SQL Server group.
SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (SSMA Access)
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/migration/default.mspx
which will only work with SQL Server Express 2005.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
Ellen Munnich
2007-11-20 18:28:02 UTC
Hi Tony,

You missed the Subject line where I said I was using the Upsizing Wizard in
Access 2007.

However, late last night, before you posted, I gave up and grabbed a copy of
the Migration Assistant figuring that the Access Wizard had issues. Worked
like a charm.

Thanks.

Tony Toews [MVP]
2007-11-20 20:22:09 UTC
Post by Ellen Munnich
You missed the Subject line where I said I was using the Upsizing Wizard in
Access 2007.
You're right, I did.
Post by Ellen Munnich
However, late last night, before you posted, I gave up and grabbed a copy of
the Migration Assistant figuring that the Access Wizard had issues. Worked
like a charm.
Glad I could help anyhow.

Tony
Alex Dybenko
2007-11-20 07:17:44 UTC
by default SQL Server Express is installed like SQLExpress instance, you can
check this in configuration manager, then you can enter its name as
<computername>\SQLExpress
--
Best regards,