migrating access application database to sql server 2005 using ss
juggu
2009-04-01 08:28:01 UTC
here with i am trying to migrate the access applications to sql server 2005
becoz of limited capability

1.i just want to migrate the data and related quiries to sql server 2005
without changing the application logic in access application
2. to be clear i just wanted the data container from access to sql server
2005 without making any modifications in the access program

the acces program is not developed by me its by other professional
programmer since he left our company and the migration task is given for me
so i read about ssma and involved in achieving the task without handcoding in
the program

kindl help me in achieving the task
Mary Chipman [MSFT]
2009-04-01 16:13:30 UTC
Here are some resources that will help you tackle the problem:

TechEd Online Panel (video):
Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/events/teched/cc676818.aspx and
search for:
"Are we there yet? Successfully navigating the bumpy road from Access
to SQL Server"

Microsoft Access or SQL Server 2005: What's Right in Your
Organization?
http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/migration-access.aspx or
download.microsoft.com/download/a/4/7/a47b7b0e-976d-4f49-b15d-f02ade638ebe/SQLAccessWhatsRight.doc

Optimizing Microsoft Office Access Applications Linked to SQL Server

What are the main differences between Access and SQL Server?
http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspfaq.com/what-are-the-main-differences-between-access-and-sql-server.html

"The Best of Both Worlds--Access MDBs and SQL Server"
http://www.jstreettech.com/cartgenie/pg_developerDownloads.asp

SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (SSMA for Access)
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/migration/access/default.mspx

FMS Upsizing Center
http://www.fmsinc.com/Consulting/sqlupsizedocs.aspx

Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0672319446

Migration Considerations for Access 2007

John W. Vinson
2009-04-01 16:52:40 UTC
Post by juggu
here with i am trying to migrate the access applications to sql server 2005
becoz of limited capability
What limits are you encountering? Size of the database? Is your database split
into a front and backend? How big is each? Are you having problems with the
2GByte size limit, or performance, or what?

And have you worked to optimize Access performance, by ensuring that tables
have appropriate indexes and that queries are properly designed?
Post by juggu
1.i just want to migrate the data and related quiries to sql server 2005
without changing the application logic in access application
That's probably not going to be practical. Doing so will likely DAMAGE
performance, not improve it. In particular you'll want to ensure that Forms
are based on queries that return a minimal number of records rather than all
records in the table.
Post by juggu
2. to be clear i just wanted the data container from access to sql server
2005 without making any modifications in the access program
Just barely possible if your Access application is well designed and split
into a frontend and a backend. If it's a single unitary database you will have
a good bit more work to do.
Post by juggu
the acces program is not developed by me its by other professional
programmer since he left our company and the migration task is given for me
so i read about ssma and involved in achieving the task without handcoding in
the program
kindl help me in achieving the task
Here's some resources I just saw minutes ago in another thread from a post by
former MVP, now Microsoft expert Mary Chipman:

John W. Vinson [MVP]
juggu
2009-04-06 08:56:03 UTC
thank dear sir,

i have 2 .mdb files one is having append quiries and other
having normal quiries and linked tables from 1.mdb to 2.mdb

but i am getting errors in the append query even in my access database i am
not able to open that append query

how shall i resolve this problem

i am waiting for your guidance in succesfully migrating my database to sql
server 2005

using ssma