Add New Field from Access to SQL backend
Williams
2009-05-28 15:19:01 UTC
I have a MS Access 2003 that is linked to multiple SQL tables. When linking
each one of those SQL tables, I identified 2 fields per table as unique. I
can run append queries to populate these tables, but I can not delete from
the SQL tables. I know that I have proper authorizaiton b/c I can delete
records from the SQL tables by using MS Query. I had our IT dept create the
SQL tables and then I linked them. I think my problem is that I do not have
1 field as unique. Is there a way to add an AutoNumber Counter field to the
SQL table from within Access or MS Query? Help is much appreciated.
Mary Chipman [MSFT]
2009-05-28 17:45:42 UTC
How Access works with linked tables and views is explained in the
following whitepaper:

Optimizing Microsoft Office Access Applications Linked to SQL Server

If you still are having problems, and you're sure it's not a
permissions issue, stick a Profiler trace on the calls and inspect the
actual SQL statements Access is submitting to the server. That will
help you (and the DBA) figure out where the problem lies.

--Mary